Monday, March 3, 2008

Thoughts on a good reminder

The quote to the right side of my blog is one by a guy named Brennan Manning. His book "A Ragamuffin Gospel" is truly wonderful...and I only read about half of it. I really suck at finishing books for the most part, but in this case, I think it's okay because I gleaned a great deal from the first few chapters. And, almost as importantly, I got a "cool, artsy, hip, eloquent" quote to put on my blog - therefore making me cool, artsy, hip, and eloquent. Those who know me know that that is simply, well, not true. But if I look the part, maybe I can fool some of you. Or not.

Anyways, Manning writes openly about his struggle with, and subsequent addiction to, alcohol in chapter 1 of this book. "I am an angel with an incredible capacity for beer." And I love that he is open about that - it gives room for regular folks like me to read his book and feel "welcome" within its pages. It's as if he says "it's okay to be here even if you don't have it figured out. I'm an alcoholic, I'm screwed up, we're all screwed up." By beginning his book with this declaration, he earned my trust. Therefore, when he speaks about the grace of God - how it permeates our being, regardless of who we are or what we've done - I believe it. I contrast this to other books I've read by people who write in such a way as to inspire to you be better. Some phrases that come to mind:

"Live your best life now. Step one...."
"Improve your spiritual life by ________"
"You can be more blessed if you _________"

Quite simply, Manning get is right. The Gospel of Jesus says "come to me - I don't care what you've done or who you are. Just come to me." We do not have to clean up our act first. We do not have to straighten out our lives first. We do not have to pray magical incantations like a sorcerer for Him to hear us and draw us near to Himself. We do not have to give money, meet our quota of scriptures read, or attend or serve in a church before we come to Him. It's laughable to think that we can offer anything like that to Him as an admission fee into His presence. After all, what are we when it compares to God?

I read John 8 recently, namely the first 11 verses. It's a stirring reminder about the heart of Jesus toward the broken and outcast. When a woman has been caught in adultery, the "high religious" bring her to Jesus, asking Him what to do with her. His response?

"Let him who is without sin be the first to throw to throw a stone at her."

And as the crowd dissipates, Jesus is the only one left.

"Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?"
She said, "No one, Lord."
"Neither do I condemn you, go, and from now on sin no more."


The good reminder is simple: no matter who you are, where you've been, what you've done - no matter the mess you've made of your life, bridges burned, or baggage you carry with you - the invitation of Jesus remains the same:

Come to me with whatever you have, and I will give you rest.

This, friends, is the Gospel. It's what I want to be about, who I want to be, and what I want to live out. So you can have your religion and self help - but give me the gospel and its Christ, and pour me a beer. You're all welcome to join me.

5 comments:

Wearing a Man-Skirt (for now) said...

I'll take that Christ and beer combo. OH WAIT, I live in a DRY MOSLEM COUNTRY.

Wearing a Man-Skirt (for now) said...

PS-Sorry we have been MIA. Work, tutoring, parents, Egypt, sick.....

Anonymous said...

Jerm--well said, brother, well said. You have a beer or two waiting for you back here in Junction...

rachel rianne said...

amen.

i don't really think i like beer
(remember i'm a newly-21 year old
plus i'm one of those asians
who can't really hold drinks well)
but i'd drink to that.

hootenannie said...

There's an old POG song that says,
"Jesus doesn't care what you've done before,
How you've rebelled or slammed the door..."

But it's just called "Jesus Doesn't Care." Didn't anyone think about that?