Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Thoughts on my life changer

Man, I'm rolling with blog posts lately. Lately? More like always.

Anyways, I recently posted about "trouble" - my youngest child and a brief photo session we had with him in the living room. So, something needs to also be said about the other young unit of the Parsons family. I'm going to call him "my life changer."

Late February of 2003 was a landmark turning point in Ashley's and my life. As every young parent can attest to, we had one of those talks one evening that goes something like this:

"Jeremy, I feel weird."
"Weird? What do you mean?"
"I just feel a little nauseous, and I'm so tired."
"Man, I'm sorry, are you getting sick?"
"No, I think I'm pregnant, go get me a pregnancy test."
"What?"
"Yes, a pregnancy test, and be sure to get the kind that has two tests inside of it."

And, Friday evening, a nearly undiscernable line appeared on that test. It was faint enough for me to say (honestly) "I don't see anything." We went to bed.

We casually woke up late on Saturday in our house on 12th street in Greeley. And, because we woke up late, we woke up hungry. Ashley suggested breakfast, and, never the one to turn down food, I obliged. We went to The Kitchen - awesome food. Greasy. My place.

Like a slow crescendo, we talked about the previous night's event. And, despite my continual reminder that there "really wasn't" a line, Ashley grew more certain all of the time.

Saturday night, the 2nd test was taken. And the result? No doubts this time. Holy crap, we're having a baby. My life changer.
Micah.



My first born, a source of so much joy that I can't comprehend it. I look at him in wonder and think to myself "I can't believe he's mine."

He's the best Simpsons viewing partner (get your phones out and start dialing social services....) that there is. He laughs at my jokes. He's an encouragement (truly) to me in my life. He's smarter than me. He's kind and generous and giving and winsome. He steals the show. He's a world changer. And I couldn't be more proud.

Mostly - he's mine and I'm so thankful.

7 comments:

hootenannie said...

I love him so much. I Skyped with him tonight. I told him I was moving to Kansas, which makes it official, because if I told Micah that I was moving to Kansas and then didn't... that would make me the worst human on the planet.

I am moving to Kansas. Sometime. Not sure when. But sometime soon. Ish.

bec said...

haha! those pictures are awesome. they really capture his typical expressions.

you should check out my latest post about my life-changer.

hootenannie said...

What was he DOING in these pictures, by the way? Some kind of song or dance? Or was he describing something? They're hysterical.

Susan Parsons said...

Haven't you seen orchestra conductors with these same faces and gestures? Too cute!
mom

Jeremy Parsons said...

Orchestra conductor......that is hilarious and perfect!

Dev said...

Micah looks like he is telling a really hilarious joke, wish I could have heard it!

Paul said...

The most awesome boy in the world. . . Uh, wait, there's his brother. . .Anyway, he's smarter than any of us. Scary smart. I want to be Micah when I grow up.

Poopah