Sunday, March 16, 2008

Thoughts on passion

I was reminded today about passion. No, I didn't spend my afternoon in front of some sordid movie, but rather, had about a one hour talk with a guy who lives with passion. And maybe it's because I'm a guy, but I want to live with passion also. I'm not content to simply sluff through life, paycheck to paycheck, week to week, watching my kids age, my hair gray, and my "wisdom" grow on account of my elderly status. I am, however, convinced that life is here to be lived - grabbed ahold of, and run with. Is life easy? No. But it is to be lived fully - because life is a gift.

And when your passion is put to use - it stirs passion in others.

Passion enables you to play basketball like Jordan.

Passion enables you to run like Eric Liddell (Chariots of Fire):


And passion enables you to sing like this:



All of this comes on the heels of watching one of the most stirring movies I've ever seen in my 28 years on earth. If you haven't seen "once", go rent it, go rent it right now, and let yourself be swept away. Music for Glen Hassard (the main guy) isn't simply a "fun thing to do" - it's passion, and it shows.

Passion. Without it lies the tame existence of the "eat, sleep, repeat" lifestyle. Without it, a man slowly becomes passive. Without it, a woman becomes deadened in her spirit. It's what every child is born with - what few humans die with - and what I desperately want to hold on to.

So I want to know - what are you passionate about?

5 comments:

Wearing a Man-Skirt (for now) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wearing a Man-Skirt (for now) said...

Well, there's no point trying to fight it: I want to scream "THERE'S NO POINT TRYIN' TO FIGHT IT!!" at the top of my lungs. I also want to pound out a 5/4 beat on my leg till it bleeds...Krysten is my flippin' Czech immigrant and the world is my motha flippin' oyster!!
(Isn't it amazing how music seals the deal? We went to a chamber music concert awhile ago and they played with such passion that the only thing I wanted in the world at that moment was for the violinist to use her instrument as an axe and start splintering the grande piano to a pulp--no wonder my parents were leary of me being in a punk band:)

...I'm passionate about a lot of things, bro, including you.

bec said...

i am going to the once concert here in town on monday, may 5th with a bunch of people. i think tickets are on sale now, so if you guys want to go you should jump on that bandwagon!

Krysten said...

Running a brush loaded with thick paint over the bumpy surface of a huge canvas over and over and over again...

UtahFlyFishing said...

passionate about fly fishing, hunting, fishing, girls, sunrises, life, jokes. seriously, i love it all. Life is great.