Thursday, February 28, 2008

Thoughts on english and US americans

As an American, I am good as several things just by default:

Eating
Driving really big cars with bad gas mileage
Complaining about little things
Rooting for sports teams
Spending too much money
Complaining about money
I'm a decider

I'm about as full blooded regular white-guy American male as they come. 6 feet (5'11"), cut (if by cut you mean "round cut"), athlete (band nerd), steak lover (I am "round cut"), and a fan of several network television shows.

I was raised in the ghettos of rural Western Colorado...here are some barrios I used to frequent:


and-




I have two parents who are still married. We ate around the table every night. I have three beautiful sisters. We raised dogs...and cats...and other animals. . .like hamsters and gerbils with red eyes and.... [shudder]

I am American. Proud of it? It depends on the situation. I digress....

For instance, when I was 17, I toured Europe in a musical ensemble. Very awesome experience...Disneyland Paris, Hard Rock Cafe, McDonalds - you know, local culture and such. As we flew over the pond to Germany, I had no idea what to expect. How would I communicate? I needed to brush up on my german, so I started studying on the flight and....oh wait they have movies to watch. AWESOME!

So I didn't study. But, "miraculously", I was still able to communicate. Why? Because ENGLISH has swept the globe, just like the USA. Everyone there spoke it....and I'm proud to me an American....

And here I am, 11 years after that fact, a father of a four year old who is beginning to learn english. Here's how a recent "learning" session went....

"Daddy, let's spell some words, okay?"
"Ok Micah, what do you want to spell?"
"Daddy, let's spell LAKE."
"Ok, let's sound it out...l...l..."
"L!"
"Right, and a...a....a..."
"A!"
"Great...k....k...k..."
"K!"
"Yes and....................the last letter has no sound."

WTF? Or, other words he's asked to spell:

Pirate Ship
Pizza
Flamingo
Sesame Street

Silent "E's", Long "I's", Long "O's", Long "E's".....

I'm convinced, having children makes you dumber.

3 comments:

bec said...

he knows how to spell exit! he saw the exit sign at the church last night and informed me of what it was and how it was spelled. brilliant. and such as.

Dev said...

i used to have a white gerbil with red eyes named bianca. one day my friend and i were playing with it in the bathroom (so we could let it run around on the floor) and i accidentally stepped on it.... shudder

hootenannie said...

Becca told me how Micah started his prayer the other night:

"Dear God,
For this food, and thank you for the land..."