Monday, February 4, 2008

Thoughts on the Super Bowl

Any sports fans out there? All I hear is silence, but this is my blog, and you're in my world, so you will listen to sports talk.

The super bowl this year? Superb. One of the greatest upsets in all of sports history, the Giants defeated the Patriots 17-14 on a last minute touchdown. And in other news, I consumed 4500 calories from chips and cheese dip, and the commercials are still simply average for $6 million per minute. God bless the USA.

I love when the underdog wins (unless it's against my team). Hoosiers brings it out. Watching The Sandlot brings it out, the Mighty Ducks, Rocky, Braveheart. . .scratch the Mighty Ducks from the list. I don't know why, but when the underdog wins, all becomes right in the world. There is balance, hope, relief. Part of me identifies with underdogs, because I, too, was an underdog - I being the guy who was never that good at sports, grades, school, etc. I married the hot Homecoming queen. Booyah.

We, as fans, can continue looking toward next year with great anticipation. If the Yankees won every year, then what's the draw toward baseball for fans of the Royals?

At any rate, all is right in my world, watching the arrogant patriots go down in flames. All is right in the world. . . .well, almost everything.

Heard on KLOVE on Saturday:

DJ: You might believe that the Patriots will win with all of your heart...you might believe that the Giants will win with all of your heart...but here's what THIRD DAY believes. . . . .(insert Mac Powell)

7 comments:

hootenannie said...

My three fave underdog movies:
Remember the Titans
The Rookie
Miracle

And Jeremy. For as much as you hate Christian music, you sure listen to KLOVE a lot.

Jeremy Parsons said...

I, uh, errrrr. . . .annie, you don't even know. How else would I blog?

bec said...

what is wrong with the mighty ducks?! how about cool runnings? minus the fact that the underdog team...didn't win in that one.

Sarah said...

GLORY ROAD.

Dev said...

Don't forget about "Bring It On"

Jeremy Parsons said...

Dev, as I recall, Bring it On was the story of the dominant cheerleading squad.

The underdog squad from the "hood" actually was portrayed as the antagonists.

And in the end - everyone becomes friends.

It's already been broughten.

Wearing a Man-Skirt (for now) said...

What about flippin' Jason McElwain? Have we already forgotten? (Jeremy--I think you've found the trifecta for comments: sports, movies, and dissing K-Love.)