Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Thoughts on cynicism Part II

Someone once stated that they would love to be a cynical weapon for Jesus - depricating "retarted" things in the name of Jesus. I don't know who that was. . . .oh wait, it was me, on my blog.

Cynicism, I have long thought, is one of my spiritual gifts. Mostly, I'm able to take my thoughts about how I think things should be run, then dryly rip apart the way things are while making people laugh. And, as I've learned while blogging, Christians sure do laugh (and comment) at cynical remarks about the church. Truly, they must be cynical too - affirming with their remarks that what I am writing is worthy of merit. And me? I lead the bandwagon. Hooray for me. And the notion that I have the gift of cynicism (isn't that in the bible?) was quite misfounded, as I was reminded in the past week.....

Kevin is a budding friend of mine. I've met him in person a grand total of 2 times, emailed him 3 times, talked on the phone 3 times. We don't "go way back" or know each others' stories from start to finish. I am drawn toward Kevin; his love for Christ is infectious, his passion for the Gospel is alluring, and his ability to communicate those things is incredible. So, when he talks, I listen. I emailed him last week and confessed to him my cynical nature - mostly toward suburban American Christianity. For example, where are the blood and nails of the cross displayed in the slick new $4.5 million building placed in a wide open area of the suburbs, moving itself from the heart of the city. I guess God is supposed to do more in the burbs than He can in the city?

His response? Clear, loving, and well timed: "Cynicism, however, is not a good thing.....For me, cynicism was the product of passionate idealism and seeing dream after dream topple. Cynicism was born out of my repulsion to lots of the same things you’re repulsed by. The problem with cynicism is that it takes criticism and combines it with pride."

His words pierced my heart. Criticism, mixed with pride, equals cynicism.

How do I distance myself from cynicism? Criticism isn't bad, and I believe it's fine to question why the church moves away from urban cores to areas populated with the wealthy and elite. However, crossing into the heart motives of the 6 worship leaders at the front (because we NEED 6 singers - for 6 part harmony), dressed really nicely, raising their hands to each song in the worship set: fast-fast-slow-slow-fast (let's give the lord a hand-clap!!) Cynicism. It's wrong. But how do I distinguish between criticism and cynicism?

My passionate idealism for what the church "should look like" goes no farther than what the church doesn't look like currently. I look only at the faults, rip them apart, yet have no idea how to change it or live out my convictions. In other words, I'm part of the problem. What the hell do you do as a Christian for a city that's as broken as Kansas City? What difference can I make while I work on the extreme southern edge of Kansas CIty. . .ahem. . .in the highest priced subdivision in all of Kansas? How do I get involved in the change? Does it require my moving to a lower class neighborhood with my family, getting a job at a local business down there, and just immersing myself in the culture? What's my responsibility as a Christ follower? I guarantee it's not simply to point out all of the church's faults, like an annoying little kid who is constantly poking his finger into your arm asking "hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey. . . . . ." All the while, I act as though I have the answers. Pride. Criticism. Cynicism.

What do you do? Don't say I need to buy the new Sandy Patti disc.

4 comments:

Krysten said...

Empathy with Jeremy + Chronic dust cough = Krysten. Friend, when you find the answer to your question, let me know.

Christina Ward said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julianne said...

Jeremy, I'm actually wrestling with similar questions...only I'm not as funny! I am wondering how to be a critical thinker without being critical--trying to think well about worship and Christianity without starting to believe that I am the one who has the all right answers. Actually, I just emailed one of my mentors about this...I think he might also be your dad. (And I owe him an email back.) Anyway, what I'm really trying to say is that I think you're asking the right questions. I'm asking them too.

Jeremy Parsons said...

TWO READERS OUT OF THE LURKING!!! Thanks for great comments guys.