Thursday, January 17, 2008

Thoughts on a long, cold winter

It's mid January, and my heart is heavy. Daily, this problem gets worse, although, at least I know I'm not alone. It's 15 degrees outside, and the temperature is dropping. Yet, as cold as it is in Kansas City in January, the bitter chill deepens even while I sit indoors with the heat running - it sinks into my bones and soul - when I consider having to spend an evening in front of the television.

Gone are the implausible, but hooking storylines of 24. . . and Jack Bauer torturing bad guys (or ARE they bad??)

Gone are the ridiculous, but addicting relationships of Grays Anatomy.

Gone are the laugh-out-loud moments from 30-Rock, and The Office.

Heck, even CSI, CSI:NY, CSI:Miami, CSI:SVU or whatever the heck they're called - all gone. And it's all beginning to hit me. Is it sad, my missing good television shows? No. Don't judge: culture matters, get over it. . . read on.

Instead, what do we have? A steady gamut of unscripted reality shows, game shows, and other entertainmentless, hour-long, advertisement filled death traps - disguised as dramatic, heart wrenching, life-changing, meaningful "gifts" to their viewers. Thank you, Hollywood Writers. Thank you for lengthening my winter. And, while I don't watch them, thank you for subjecting me to shows like:

The Power of 10
Dance War: Bruno vs. Carrie Ann
Wife Swap
Super Nanny
1 vs. 100
Celebrity Apprentice
American Gladiators
The Biggest Loser
Deal or no Deal

And praise Jesus for the one redeeming thing coming out of my television display this winter: Lost. May the next two weeks fly. A 2 hour premiere - in 2 weeks.

4 comments:

THE PARSONS said...

you mad genius, you! I know what you're trying to do - playing hardball to get some google hits!!! you may have everyone else fooled, but you don't fool me!!

Dev said...

don't knock celeb apprentice and biggest loser, they have been seeing me through this winter. and may i suggest celebrity rehab with dr. drew, mtv thursday nights.

Krysten said...

Thoughts
I take very big farts...all the time.

Jeremy Parsons said...

Yes Krysten, thanks to my wife's sneaky ways, I somehow posted to my blog for 2 minutes - for the world to see, that I take very big farts...all the time. I think she's still laughing, days later.

You liked that post because you fart too...I've heard it.