Sunday, August 5, 2007

Thoughts on Life's Deeper Mysteries

Dry your eyes all of you who check my blog often. I know - no blog post for a while. I am a working man now - a BLUE COLLAR working man now. I work for my friend Andrew who is developing 90+ acres into a very exclusive, high end subdivision.

My sister Annie has said on her blog - don't blog about work. It has resulted in the firing of her "blogging idol". But I don't care - I work construction. I'm guessing nobody has a blog. I'm also guessing nobody can read. I'm safe.

My construction "mates" are all pretty nice guys: either illegal immigrants, or guys from deep in the heart of Missourah who's sordid pasts I want nothing to do with. Imagining their paths getting to where they're at is like thinking through bad horror movies. I imagine that their idea of a vacation would be to go fishing - drinking 23 beers, sitting in a lawn chair shirtless with their feet in the water, and passing out all day just to wake up the next day and do it again. My favorite is the company mechanic - Richard. Richard is a felon (not sure for what), lives in a "big ol farm house" for $300/month almost 2 hours away from KC (commutes because there's no work where he's at), and is an expert at sifting through garbage that I find all over the property to find things that can be reused. He says things like: "sheeeooot". Seriously.

Working construction has its ups and downs. I'm a week into my new job. Things I like:

-Days off when the weather is bad.
-A weekly paycheck
-Working as part of a team
-Seeing my work begin to pay off
-Getting good praise from my boss because I'm doing a good job
-Getting good exersize all day everyday

Things I don't like:

-98 degree days, and then the humidity - probably 110 on the heat index.
-Not working much with people. Not many friends to be made out there.


Working alone gives me time to ponder life's deeper mysteries. When else would I have time to think through some of these things:

-How many bugs are there in this 90+ acre plot of land? Probably a million. Then, as I kill different bugs, I can successfully count down. I think I'm down to 998,235 (and yes, I've calculated the new bugs that have been born). Bugs will die - I will kill them.
-Speaking of bugs - I wonder what their thoughts are? I wonder if there are good bugs and bad ones. Like wasps - definitely the bad ones. But beetles? Probably really kind. Doesn't matter though - good and bad are all getting killed. . .by me.
-You know when you fill up your car with gas, and you finish and are putting the nozzle away and there's the inevitable drops of gas that fall to the ground or get all over your shoes - how many gallons of gas could be saved worldwide everyday by fixing those f-ing nozzles? I'm going green.
-You know driving down the highway, you see construction workers just standing around? How much of the economy is boosted (or brought down) by construction workers getting paid hourly to stand around while one guy does the work? (Don't misunderstand - I work in a small crew so we all have to work - but think "highway construction" guys.)
-How many bodies are buried in this plot of 90 acres? And what'd they do to get killed? I'm writing CBS - what a great "Cold Case" episode that would be.
-How much does the earth weigh?
-What is bark made of?

I do have time to pray during the day. Mostly the prayer is: "Lord, beer me strength", or "Lord, beer me shade." Seriously, there is good time to think spiritually.

And I thought this week about what it means to be "saved." Saving faith always works I've been told and reading the book of James - that's apparent. We aren't saved by works, but our faith will always drive us toward works. Christ's word will never return to Him void - and His work in our lives will always bear fruit.

But one of the scariest things is thinking about dying, and standing before Christ, and hearing Him say "away from me, I never knew you." Jesus promised that there will be people that claim to have known Christ - to have followed Him and done what He asked - and be cast away from Him. Scary. And it's all throughout scripture. Mary and Martha, the Rich Young Ruler, the Pharisees. . . .all about performance, working instead of following/resting - and it's what I think through lately. Derek Webb sings what Jesus might say to someone from suburban USA:

"Come on and follow me,
Sell your house, sell your SUV
Sell your stock, sell your security
and give it to the poor".

Very much like the rich young ruler he told to sell all he owned and follow Christ - humbling.

Christian performance means nothing, unless you first sit at His feet, rest, know Him, love Him, and be loved on by Him. Then our service becomes fruitful as it's driven by faith and knowledge of Jesus Christ.

I want what J.I. Packer has. What is life about: knowledge of God. First, foremost. So, how do you know God?.....just my thoughts I guess.

3 comments:

hootenannie said...

I'd be careful blogging about your co-workers, if I were you... because even if they "can't read," YOU are the one asking life's "deeper questions."

And what IS bark made out of?

Dev said...

FYI... The earth weighs 5.978 sextillion metric tons. And bark is made out of the same thing as trees are made out of-- plant cells. Any more brain busters? Wish we could see you guys!

THE PARSONS said...

wow. devie is smart.
I love you more than I can say. I am so thankful for you, so proud of how hard you work for us.
you're my hero.