Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Thoughts on my 20's

Here I sit, in Kansas City. It's a beautiful summer evening, my boys are sleeping, and Ashley is out with a friend celebrating that friend's new engaged-ness. (what the heck is that word?) I sit and type - feeling the soothing Apple potion rushing through my fingertips, along my arms, AND INTO MY SOUL. I am blogging. I am retarted.

I am poised on the edge of a job change - tomorrow is my final day at Midland Loan Services. To type "Midland Loan Services" evokes in me such a depressing feeling, I can't fully express it. I was a low-level cubicle dweller at a company that houses 500+ nondescript individuals. I'd venture to guess that 90% of them do not enjoy their jobs, complain about it under their breath, and then go about their days counting minutes until they are off. I was part of that 90%. After all, it's hard to enjoy a job that I can't even explain to people.

"What do you do Jeremy?"
"I, uh. . . .work for a bank."
"Do you like it?"
"uh. . . .it's really stable."

Sheesh. I guess I leave Midland with some resentment. It's nothing inherently about the company as much as it is that I know I'm not meant to work in a cube, and yet I've done that for over 5 years of my married life. Midland was not for me, and me not for it. Consequently, the past 6 months have seen a steady decline in my self-esteem, my energy, and have seen a rise of dread in my spirit. I leave feeling like I've gained very little, to nothing, in terms of knowledge. I plucked away on a keyboard. Practical skills? Nothing, or so it seems right now. I guess my 10-key skills have never been better.

And so the question again arises in me - what is this life all about?

I'm 27 - the prime of life. I have a beautiful family, a beautiful home, drive a minivan (proudly - we just got new tires), and have every luxury I could ever want in the world. But I've been generally very unhappy in my occupations throughout my life. Paychecks are nice - some are nicer than others - but the most unhappy I ever was was when I made the most money.

I'm 27, without a career, about to embark on working construction in the hottest month of the year. God, where are you in this?

I watch my wife's budding photography business coming to life - her shining as she takes pictures, meets with clients, and delivers really great work to them. I am so very proud of her. She is alive when she takes pictures - when she meets with people - when she does good work. Ashley lives so winsomely, she draws me into more of that just by being who she is. It's an adventure to behold.

I watch my friends Tim and Krysten embarking on a 2 year trek to Kuwait. At first glance, it seems like a punishment, not an blessing. But dig deeper - they are going to live cross-culturally, teaching, living adventure as it comes to them.

I watch Devon and Zak move from small-town northern Colorado and take up residence in Queens, NY. Zak works in Manhattan doing graphic design; Devon has spent a year teaching in the inner-city. It's dangerous, but she's always said the kids have great minds. Yes. . . .Dangerous Minds. They're living adventure in the city.

I watch Jerome's heart begin to beat faster when he talks about songwriting. To hear Jerome sing is something that might change your life. He's that good. Adventure.

I watch my sister who is moving to Nashville to pursue a career as a backup singer. Who needs fame and glory? She just wants the "doo wop" and the "oooohs". Adventure.

And in all this I feel a bit tossed about. "Career talk" has always been a bit like falling into the open sea. And I need firm ground to stand on in all this. I yearn for clarity.

So I rest on Christ in this.

4 comments:

Dev said...

We are so glad you are leaving Midland! I'm sure it will take time to adjust to your new job, but I bet it will be satisfying to watch yourself accomplish something each day using hard work. I'm so honored to be your faithful #1 blog reader! It probably does have something to do with me not having a job right now, but I will try to keep up when I start school! Praying for you!

Wearing a Man-Skirt (for now) said...

Why didn't you tell me you had a blog, bro!? Now I can call you Bro-Blogg-X! I really enjoy your mix of classic JP humor and profundity. Engaging musings, bro. Miss you.

Wearing a Man-Skirt (for now) said...

Oh, and Heck Yes! on peacing not-so-fair-tuh-Midland. Now you can actually start fine-tuning your muscles for smashminton.

hootenannie said...

Damn the man, and do what fills up your soul.

That said, your hard work (even in lame jobs) and commitment to your family and ceaseless energy for your boys over the years has amazed me - you are an amazing dad and husband. Ashley and the boys are lucky to have you.