Monday, May 26, 2008

Thoughts on thought inducing

I listen to 96.5, "the buzz" in Kansas City. It's the alternative music station and typically has great stuff. Some stuff, take it or leave it, but the majority is good. They're sponsoring the Death Cab/Rogue Wave show this weekend that I will MISS because I'll be out of town at a wedding.

Listening to that station, I discovered the song "handlebars" by the flobots. Have you heard it? Thought inducing lyrics. I have listened to it many times. Makes me really wrestle with being an american, with being in a powerful nation, and what we do with that power. This is not an "anti war" blog post. It's more a post about what it really means to be human - and live in a broken world with 6 billion plus other humans.

Here's a video I found for it. Not sure if it's the main video, but I liked this version the most (I only watched 2 videos). There's a couple quick violent images in it, in case you're 6 years old and stalking my blog.



What do you do with this? It's Memorial Day. Yes we remember our troops. Should we also remember the other sides of those conflicts? Should we be remembering the broken in China who lost their loved ones and families in the earthquake? Should we be remembering the economies we devastate by taking all of their corn. . . .for our ethanol fuel?

Just thinking about that stuff today.

5 comments:

bec said...

I JUST MENTIONED THIS SONG IN MY BLOG TOO. I CANNOT STAND IT AND 96.5 TRULY DOES HAVE THIS PLAYING EVERY TIME I TURN ON THE RADIO.

Jeremy Parsons said...

Whoa bummer, I like the song. I've only heard it two times on the radio. Provacative? Maybe I'm a tard for liking it.....

bec said...

well it is thought provoking, i will give you that.

but i think they could have made it a much less annoying tune. and i promise it is on a lot when i turn on the radio.

hootenannie said...

"... in case you're 6 years old and stalking my blog."

Brilliant.

I had never heard this song before - but you know me. So behind the times. So out of the mainstream music scene. But now I know.

Jeremy Parsons said...

Annie,
Last time I checked, country was oh-so-very mainstream.....right?

;)

JP