Sunday, May 18, 2008

Thoughts on a slammed back door

If you haven't heard, I am self-employed. I am now a member of the artistic community, and, please turn off your laugh track. I said artistic community. No, please turn off your laugh tracks. TURN THEM OFF.

For whatever reason, God has immensly blessed Ashley and I with the ability for me to work from home - be with my kids and my wife, running a home business, and it is excelling. What an adventure! Home business is great - it's exciting, challenging, rewarding, and stressful all wrapped up into one. Balancing work and family is a challenge. Photography is a challenge. Nailing composition, exposure, and truly documenting someones wedding seamlessly while coming in and out of different locations is a challenge. But, I continue to improve, and continue to love it more. Nearly 40 weddings this year - and I'm stoked for each of them.

And yes, we shot last weekend. Ash and I left this particular wedding seriously refreshed, stoked for MARRIAGE and not just a wedding, and reaffirmed in our love for each other. Their vows did that to us. You know a wedding was good when it had that.

And on top of all of this, my skills have improved and continue to improve. I recently took my favorite "shot of the year". As a photographer, I know that one strives to continue improvement for a lifetime and when you get it - when you see it displayed right out of the camera without any photoshop work - when you know that it was YOU who took it - that all culminates into one of the greatest feelings you can have as an artist, I'm convinced.

So, I'm displaying it for my blog readers. I've called it: "Slamming the back door" and it's my first, real, piece of art. Let me know what you think.

**Editted to ADD: removed the pic. It was not kind. Or art.

1 comment:

Wearing a Man-Skirt (for now) said...

Hey, bro.
So good. High art, you might say. Can I commission you to do a photo essay? Through it, you will seek to represent the full range of the bourgeoning lexicon that aims to describe the nuances of the various male balding patterns. With luck you will emulate the good work that's been done on mullets in recent years.

They're just waiting for you at each wedding--back door wide open...or not.