Monday, December 10, 2007

Thoughts on Hamburgers. . . .those bastards

I'm up at quarter til one blogging. . . . so immediately you know something isn't right with me.

Let me take you back two nights.

Ashley and I sat in our office - both of us at our corresponding workstations, discussing our business and some things for the future. The kids were down to bed so this was our time to dream and our time to brainstorm.

And I heard a cough from the boys' room, didn't think much of it at first, and went to investigate.

"Tyler are you okay?"
(response is crying)

I gently pick up Tyler.

"What's the matter buddy?"
(vomit sprays all over my shirt)

So as Ashley cleaned the floors and sheets. I held him and consoled him and gave him a bath. It, at the time, was wonderful. He whimpered things like "I love you daddy" which, for any non-parent out there - please trust that it is the absolute greatest feeling on earth.

Anyways, Sunday came and went. Tyler didn't throw up, ate a good dinner, as did micah.

Monday came and went. I went to work, had a good day, and all was fairly good at home when I was driving home. I spoke with Ashley at 4:10-4:15 before she had to console crying dudes.

So, no worries, right? I'm going home to be with my family, the ice storm is moving in but we'll be safe and warm inside, right?

Wrong.

I arrived home to 2 sick children, puking all over the floor. It was chaos and my poor wife was cleaning all of it. Phew, at least I and her both don't have it!

Or not. We ordered two cheeseburgers from a local bar and grille and I picked them up without incident (with some sprite for the kiddos). Arriving home, we ate our burgers amidst vomiting children and just shook our heads at the crazy moment we were living out.

And promptly after dinner, I threw up. . .and up. . .and up. . .and up. . .and up (plus a couple more) within a 4 hour span.

And I have NEVER been as sick as I am right now - never. It is truly unreal.

So, I hate hamburgers, the little bastard food group that they are.

But, it's strange how being sick has made me realize how much better I have it than some though. I'm still inside on an ice-storm night. I am well fed, unlike many (as was, um, plenty evident tonight). And I have an incredible caring wife who has nurtured my boys and I. Pray that I don't get her sick. So, I sit and sip water, now wanting to lay down until it's been absorbed.

I hate the flu. I hate hamburgers.

5 comments:

hootenannie said...

I feel sorry for you. But not as sorry as I feel for Tyler. Because he's cuter. Sorry.

Sarah said...

Sorry you're sick. But HEY, I have a stethoscope - I'll listen to your lungs and heart. Not that I know how but we can pretend.

bec said...

does this mean you're never going to eat hamburgers again, like at family dinner nights?

rachel rianne said...

hey get better soon.

at least everytime you get the flu,
you'll have a great dad moment memory from tyler.
which might make puking a little less terrible.

Krysten said...

OH MY GOSH. ARE YOU BETTER??? ARE YOU GOING TO BE 100% JEREMY FOR NYC???? I WILL MISS NORMAL JEREMY IF PUKING JEREMY COMES. How is your wife? Did she get it? WIll puking Ashley be able to come???