Sunday, October 21, 2007

Thoughts on increasing church attendance

Most everyone knows that I am the worship leader for a small church service here in Kansas City. It started in 2006 amongst a group of younger adults who longed for a service they could call "their own", and in turn, reach out to Kansas City.

It has not gone as we'd hoped.

I am being very frank and honest here which is difficult considering that I am a very very large part of the makeup of the service. Therefore, much of the "blame" for why the service hasn't worked, I place squarely on my own shoulders.

"Perhaps my voice just wasn't good enough."
"I just couldn't build a committed band."
"I just didn't choose the right songs."
Blah blah blah. Attacks - I really know that's all that those things are - but nonetheless, this blog is called "just my thoughts" and those ARE my thoughts.

As numbers have dipped to new lows, my heart sinks along with it. Spiritually dry, I find myself longing to be out from behind the mic, somewhere able to worship Christ without the constant thinking about "change the chord NOW" or "I hope the power point is in the right order" or "sheesh, I guess nobody likes this song. . . ." True, it seems that my heart is linked to the attendance of the service.

With all of this in mind, something I saw out front of a church the other day really caught my attention. No, it wasn't a church bilboard proclaiming God's wrath on our sinful humanity. It was worse. The banner rolled out in front of this church (I don't know the name) said:

"Voted best place in the southland to worship."

WHAT THE?? Who voted? Their own congregation? How did this church win? And what kind of IDIOT puts a banner out front of your church saying that you're the best? I can only figure these things:

-They truly are "the best." They worship better than other churches. They use only the finest songs, the finest singers, the most talented dancers, ALL of the instruments. . . .and God truly IS happier.
-It really is the best place to worship in the southland. This could mean a few things:
-Heated leather massage chairs for congregants to sit in while making a joyful noise. The massages could evoke some new joyful noises like "ooooooh" and "aaaaaaaaah". . . or "man I had such a hard week, but the Holy Spirit worked out the kinks. . . .praise Jesus - this IS the best place to worship."
-Free catered lunch every Sunday.
-Free church "Giveaways" and door prizes like "first fifty people that come get an iPod".

What disgusts me most about the sign is the blatant propaganda this church is using to attract new visitors. And how sad! Instead of an inviting place because Christ's followers go there and have brought them in, they are resorting to the gimmicks that fast food restaurants use. Strip-mall church - come and see. . . .why the worship here is the best. It makes me sick.

But the harder part about it is that it convicts me deeply of my own wickedness in this area. I want to sell people Jesus like a store sells goods and services. But He is not a product to be sold. He is God.

I want the gospel to be a pretty, neat package. I want to tell people - come and see, your diseases and addictions will disappear, guaranteed! I want to tell people that they are going to be wealthier.

But I can't because at the heart of this gospel lies the Hero of my faith; broken, bleeding and dying on a rugged cross. I see Him suffering. I see Him poor and opressed and embarassed and lonely and plain looking and sad. I see Him homeless. I see Him tortured.

Best place to worship in the southland?? What a crock of crap - may God have mercy.

Come to Jesus. But don't come because a church has great programs or advertises great worship experiences. Come because He is God, and He is good.

5 comments:

rachel rianne said...

jer-
it's the worst to be in leadership of something that isn't going as hoped. and it's so easy to slip into wanting to market Jesus the way that America wants things to be marketed-- the way that has molded the culture we're in today. but praise God for his reassurance that it's not our doing, but his. it's not our hands working, but his work through us, and that's what you're doing in soma cristou. God is faithful and true even in our distress and frustration. but his timing usually seems awful until we understand. so i hope that that understanding comes soon for you, but that you're given strength and endurance until then.

when you said you wished that you could tell people that they'll be wealthier, it made me think of a mars hill, seattle, sermon Mark Driscoll taught a few months ago... about Nehemiah. i think it's about money and ministry. you should listen to it if you haven't already. he has a fantastic section with a Joel Osteen clip about being a victor in Christ and then with him ripping apart everything Osteen says. ...with love, i think.

okay, i think i've talked enough. i'm praying for soma, though. you guys are definitely on my heart. i hope you're doing well!

Wearing a Man-Skirt (for now) said...

Kansas City: Voted best place for wack contortions of the Gospel. "Did you get the massage last week? ...Yeah, but I think I might need to schedule an appointment with the Soul Doctor." You've heard of AA? How about WTFGAYA (Wanting-To-Feel-Good About-Yourselfaholics Anonymous). If church is this, then there are other clubs I'd rather join. (Can you tell I'm slightly perturbed about the banner as well?) Jeremy, by God's grace, you're keeping it real. Love you, Tim.

hootenannie said...

THIS BLOG is why you are the best possible person to be in leadership for Soma Cristou. Keep plugging along. You are making God's heart swell.

J-5 said...

They were a proud people, some would say that they were too proud. If you asked them why they were so proud they would answer "We're not even going to answer that"

While playing my bass this past Sunday I looked into the crowd...audience...I mean coworshipers... ok seriously, and I saw my wife shaking her head. She didn't have a banjo of course, but I knew I was in trouble. Jeremy I was in trouble because I got bored and decided to go into a triplet feel on the bridge. I thought it was really cool because the rest of the performers....I mean.....leaders.... were of course strumming away in there little square world.

No, I wasn't tied to the bumper of a car while onlookers shrieked with delight, but my wife promptly notified me that my 3 over 4 feel was not appropriate. Why is that I ask.....because it's not about me? Well if it's not about me then whey am in front of all these people.

So cool to stumble on your blog!!!

love ya JP!!

Jeremy Parsons said...

Thank you, Johnny, for the daft use of the "Deep Thoughts" in the comment. I commend your bold use of triplet's over the standard 4/4 feel of the worship tunes.

I also commend your wife for the "head shaking". You guys have that communication thing. . . .