Thursday, September 6, 2007

Thoughts on Typical

It helps having connections. Case in point - my sister Becca is dating a dude who tours the country playing rock music on his guitar. I like it. I like him. www.myspace.com/daphnelovesderby. He's the skinny dude with blonde hair - and oh, he's really phenominally talented (you're welcome, Spencer).

All that to say: yes, I have connections. Spencer knows more about cool bands than anyone I've ever met. He listens to the music, knows about the music videos, knows about their labels, knows about their tours, and knows many of the musicians - at least indirectly.

He was good enough on Wednesday night to share with Ashley and I his "musical inspiration": Mute Math. They are up and coming, as far as I can tell (what do I know, I have heard of them for 24 hours now), and did the theme song for the Transformers movie that came out this summer. I haven't heard that song. Watch this video (all band members learned the entire song backwards: lyrics, strumming patterns on the guitar, drum beats - remarkable):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b13rc6DY74A

Here's the lyrics:

Come on, can I dream for one day?
There's nothing that can't be done
But how long should it take somebody
Before they can be someone

Cuz I know there's got to be another level
Somewhere closer to the other side
And I'm feelin' like it's now or never
Can I break the spell of the typical?

Now I've lived through my share of misfortune
And I've worked in the blazing sun
But how long should it take somebody
Before they can be someone

Cuz I know there's got to be another level
Somewhere closer to the other side
And I'm feelin' like it's now or never
Can I break the spell of the typical?

I'm the typical
I'm the typical
Can I break the spell of the typical?

Because it's draggin' me down
Oh, I'd like to know about when
When does it all turn around?
__________________

Truly it's a song that speaks to my heart, especially as of late. Mostly it's depressing. If the guys from Mute Math sing about feeling "Typical" after playing the Late Show and garnering a load of critical acclaim, then what hope is there for us who spend all day working in the hot sun, or the cubicle, or the classroom, or the four corners of the earth?

And again, I have no answers, but simply a statment: Colossians 3:17 - Whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

He will provide, He has promised. William Cowper writes: Tomorrow can bring us nothing, but He will bear us through: Who gives the lilies clothing will clothe His people, too. So it sure seems that the fight against the "typical" isn't at all about occupation or prestige.

Where does it come from? To be His is to be more than typical - and nothing else will do. Can I rest in that and live it out? That's the hard part. Just my thoughts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the light. ahem. i mean, mutemath. I must say, as much as i love the music, it's really the lyrics that keep me coming back for more. It seems like he really hits some matters of the heart. God given desires and thoughts that christians or not could even both understand.

But how long should it take somebody
Before they can be someone

If there is a guy that hasn't related to this, they are lying to themselves.

I really like how you mention how this is much more than a simple occupation, or, as I see it, any wordly success, but breaking this disease in us and becoming the greatness God has intended for us. Living a life dependent on him and all gloryfying to him. w3rd.

Spencer